Staff login

Leave Policy


Next review
Wed, 05 March 2025

To outline staff leave entitlements.

Approved on: 07 Aug 2020
Review cycle: AN
Owned by


Approved by

College Board

Policy Contact: 
Human Resources Manager
College Melbourne School of Theology
Executive Management Team This group comprises the Executive Principal, Vice Principal (Academic), Vice Principal (Community & Operations), Vice Principal (Head of Eastern College Australia)
Faculty Those staff who have been designated and remunerated as teaching members of staff, and for which specific policies apply because of their role in teaching.
MST Melbourne School of Theology
NES National Employment Standards
One Semester One Semester refers specifically to the academic calendar. Unless by prior agreement, it will not incorporate those times during which there are no classes when the College is open (such as during the summer period.
Staff This is the general term used for all people employed by MST, whether full-time, part-time or casual. Volunteers and contracted workers are not covered under this Handbook.

All leave provisions are set by the National Employment Standards (NES), to which MST adheres


To outline staff leave entitlements.


This policy applies to all casual and permanent College faculty and staff.


Leave Applications

Before leave is taken (except in the case of unexpected sick leave) a Leave Application should be completed and approved by one’s Supervisor.  In the case of unexpected sick leave the application is to be completed immediately on return to work, along with a medical certificate as required.

A copy of the application will go to the Accountant to update payroll and financial records for audit purposes.  The Accountant will ensure it is then placed in the Faculty member’s personal file.

Leave Types

  • Public Holidays 
  • Annual Leave
  • Sick Leave
  • Long Service Leave
  • Parental Leave
  • Compassionate Leave
  • Study Leave 

Public Holidays

MST observes the following public holidays:

  • New Year’s Day
  • Australia Day
  • Labour Day
  • Good Friday
  • Easter Monday
  • Anzac Day
  • Queen’s Birthday
  • Day Before Grand Final Day (if gazetted)
  • Melbourne Cup Day
  • Christmas Day
  • Boxing Day

In addition, MST observes Christmas Eve as a compulsory College holiday for all employees, which is not considered part of an individual's annual leave. This College is closed and the day cannot be accrued. 

Annual Leave

According to the National Employment Standard, Annual Leave to which employees are entitled is 4 weeks, or 20 working days.  At MST, this annual leave is normally taken during the Summer Break (December/January). 
Requested annual leave dates are to be submitted to the Faculty member’s immediate supervisor for approval. Every effort will be made to provide leave when requested, however Approval of leave will take into account the College’s need for adequate staffing in vacation periods.
Leave should normally be taken when due. Annual Leave may be accumulated but Faculty will be encouraged to use the leave and not allow it to unduly accrue.  When not on annual leave in the official College holiday periods, Faculty are asked to advise the receptionist if they are to be away from their office for an extended period of the day.

Sick Leave

Employees are entitled to TEN (10) days sick leave per year.  Sick leave entitlements are cumulative, but not subject to pay in lieu.  The College Board may, at its discretion, offer up to 3 months paid sick leave in exceptional cases of accident, illness or surgery.

Long Service Leave

Long Service Leave will be granted on the basis of six weeks leave after seven years of continuous service and thereafter 0.8571 weeks leave for each additional year of service.

Parental Leave

12 months unpaid leave is available, in accordance with the NES and the Award, after 12 months of service.

Compassionate Leave

2 days per occasion is available, in accordance with the NES.

Study Leave

The Australian College of Theology which accredits the degrees of the College expects all members of the Consortium to offer Study Leave for their Faculty.  The Board recognizes the importance of such a provision. 
Normally, on Study Leave, the faculty member will pursue research with a view to publication or pursue a specific course of study in Australia or overseas. If the necessary time to complete a course leading to a degree is longer than the period of Study Leave available, the Board is prepared to examine the possibility of granting further leave, normally without remuneration, to enable completion.
Study Leave may also be used in study, writing, research or in teaching in some other College approved by the Board, where such study, writing, research or teaching is thought to have promise of benefit for teaching in this College. A remunerated appointment may involve a financial adjustment by the Board between the Faculty member and College, and the Board is to be advised of any remuneration received while on such leave.
Or, all or a part of the Study Leave may be spent in a particular missionary, pastoral, evangelistic or teaching situation where such involvement may provide personal enrichment and serve a useful ‘refresher’ purpose for the Faculty member’s continuing task in the College. 
Part or all of the Study Leave may be spent on other purposes as may be proposed and approved by the Board.
The following points should be noted

  • Study Leave is made available by the Board only for approved programs presented in writing. Faculty applying for Study Leave should set out in their proposal:

    • the goals or objectives of their Study Leave
    • the benefits of their proposal to their own personal development and ministry, and to the ministry of the College
  • Details of Study Leave should be worked out in consultation with the Principal, and normally be presented to the Board 12 months in advance of the proposed Leave.
  • Each Faculty member granted Study Leave will be expected to present to the Board a written report on his/her study program within two months of his/her return to service.
  • Appropriate records of Study Leave approvals will be maintained in the Faculty member’s HR file.
  • In accordance with ACT guidelines, paid study leave of one calendar semester will ordinarily be provided to full-time academic staff after no less than nine semesters teaching. Study leave will only be made available on application to the College Board.
  • There must be a period of at least three years service between any grants of a Study Leave.
  • A Faculty member will normally be expected to serve with the College for at least two years after returning from Study Leave. For this reason, Study Leave will not normally be granted to a Faculty member within two years of retirement.
  • Board will provide remuneration at the normal level for the period of Study Leave.
  • It is expected that the Principal will ensure that College life should not be disadvantaged by a Faculty member undertaking Study Leave, and leave will normally be granted to only one member of Faculty at a time.
  • As the annual vacation is of four weeks’ duration, with a further two weeks in mid or inter semester vacations, any further time taken during the periods when the College is in recess will be regarded as part of the Study Leave
  • Normally Study Leave will not be approved for more than one semester.  Annual Leave will be additional to Study Leave.
  • If a Faculty member is granted a reduced teaching load or relief from normal administrative responsibilities to enable him/her to pursue an approved study program, then this would be seen as a partial Study Leave Program provision and treated as such in adjusting any further Outside Study Program request made by the Faculty member concerned. 

A Faculty member who wishes to undertake a new study program, while continuing with full responsibilities as a Faculty member of the College, should receive approval from the Board through the Principal prior to the commencement of the study program.


One Semester refers specifically to the academic calendar. Unless by prior agreement, it will not incorporate those times during which there are no classes when the College is open (such as during the summer period.